Thursday, September 4, 2014

Sir Michael Wilshaw you think you're opinionated.......

Not playing the sympathy card, but just saying, that nowadays I am normally too busy to write blogs and get on social and professional media, or least as much as I'd like to.  I happened to come across an article today though that I really had to comment on because I was that worked up by its content!

http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/london-life/ofsted-chief-sir-michael-wilshaw-headteachers-should-not-be-afraid-to-say-youre-a-bad-parent-9708134.html

So after finishing work at 6.45pm and then writing up and emailing 10 daily diaries for under 5's to parents, I have managed to sit and have a good read of the above article.

Sir Michael, we are certainly on the same wavelength if, to quote the article "His mission? To improve the lot of children — particularly those from deprived backgrounds: “For poor kids especially, education is their only chance.”

I am too and that is the reason, after all, that a year ago I embarked on the Early Years Teacher Programme and received confirmation from the National College of Teaching and Leadership just a few days ago that I am now an Early Years Teacher.  Oh and by the way I am a local childminder too.

This is my personal statement that accompanied my application to the programme eighteen months ago.

I have been registered as a Childminder since September 2010.  I currently work with six children under the age of five, three of whom are babies, two of whom are toddlers and one who is a young child.  I entered the profession late in my career having spent fourteen successful years working in business and administration prior to that.  Like the children in my care, who I support and encourage to reach their potential, I also challenge myself to be the best that I can be.  The EYTP would be a challenge that I am excited to undertake and confident that I can achieve.   With recent and on-going changes in the childcare sector, I feel that now is the perfect time to demonstrate that excellence in teaching, learning and care can be achieved in a childminding setting.   Often childminders are perceived to be second rate to other childcare professionals and for me to complete the EYTP would be acknowledgement that the gold standard in childcare can be achieved in a home-based setting.   Moreover, I am committed to and passionate about providing the best early years teaching and learning in my local area.  I work in an area which is 30% disadvantaged (Adwick Children's Centre Area Report 2012) and at our local nursery, which is attached to the school, 'most children enter with skills that are well below those typical for their age' (Ofsted report 2008).  It is critical that children in their early years are given every opportunity to thrive and it would be fabulous if this were not based on their backgrounds or the area they live in. Sadly, this is not usually the case and it is the children from disadvantaged families, of which there are many in my locality, who really need the knowledge, understanding and exemplary practice that an EYT can offer.  I feel very strongly that all children should have access to the same standard of opportunity and just because they live in this area or because their parents/carers opt for a home-based setting this does not have to mean that quality is affected.  I employ three assistants in my business and I am always keen to share best practice and support them in as they become better childcare practitioners.  I am also the Doncaster Facilitator for PACEY Local, a peer support network for childminders, nannies and childcare professionals working in nurseries.  This role has not only enabled me to use peer support to improve my own practice but I hope has helped other professionals to network, avoid isolation, be reflective and ultimately become better practitioners.  I keep up to date with developments in childcare by networking, reading and by using social media.  My recent improvements to my setting include introducing the Mud Kitchen, introducing Forest School for the under 5s and creating secure online Learning Journeys for parents/carers to access and interact with on my website.   I believe that childcare is on the brink of change, improvement, challenge and getting out of its comfort zone and I want to be a part of that and the children of Skellow need me to be a part of that.

I feel as strongly today about my objectives as I ever did.  So you can see I believe we are agreed on what the outcome for children should be but I'm afraid I do not agree with you on the way in which we should get there.

I am not adverse in any way to there being a range of options for parents and whenever a parent comes to visit me I actively encourage them to consider, not only other childminders, but also other settings as there is no one size fits all and what suits one family and one child may not suit another.  But to be looking to expand school-based nurseries to accommodate the growing need for 2 year old funded places which I assume is what Sir Michael is alluding to when he says "With poor families now getting 15 hours free provision of childcare, the Government should try to ensure they go to a school-based nursery, not the local child- minder.” is absolutely ludicrous if you don't mind me saying so.

I have to say that my personal opinion is that a home-based setting is my preferred environment for 2 year olds but I am willing to concede that not every home-based setting has the quality of teaching that Sir Michael or any of us would like and that some school-based nurseries may be the appropriate setting for some 2 year olds.   But instead of shooting us all down, making us feel inadequate and threatening to take away our option to care for funded 2 year olds, why not give childminders the support they need to be better. To become Early Years Teachers, childminders need degrees and most cannot afford the current cost of a degree - edging on £9000 pa I believe even though many would be more willing and able undertake one even if it took them three or four years. So let's have some funding there please.....

The powers that be seem to be all to quick to band around sweeping statements that affect the morale and the motivation of of all Early Years Practitioners but especially childminders who often already feel isolated and inadequate and I would like to know how often 'they' actually get off their  "sofa in ..... Holborn office" and come out to the grass roots.  Sir Michael you are more than welcome to come to our setting anytime, talk with me, my husband who is also a registered childminder, our assistants, anyone of the 31 children we care for and their parents.  If you then feel that our Little Caterpillars aren't meeting or exceeding age related expectations and aren't ready for their next stage of learning then I may be willing to consider your proposal to expand school-based nursery provision.

I could go on further and ask how you would expect school-based nurseries to offer pick ups and drop offs to 2 year olds like we do or how you would expect school-based nurseries to accommodate different shift patterns or extended provision requests, will they be prepared to work into the school holidays?  Do you also intend that school-based nurseries continue with a ratio of 1:4 2 year olds?......we have 1:3 and we believe that vulnerable 2 year olds need that but that's our personal choice and I don't blame any nursery if they are operating within framework ratios. 

Perhaps, Sir Michael, you would prefer it if all registered childminders that are currently providing places for vulnerable 2 years old decided to stop immediately?........ Ooh would that cause a problem for sufficiency?  It certainly would.  Instead your support, thanks and appreciation would not go a miss.

All that is not even before I've come to the headline for the article....

Headteachers should not be afraid to say ‘you’re a bad parent’

Is that really productive?.....Parents come in all shapes and sizes and from all backgrounds, working in partnership with them is key - telling them they're a bad parent, where is that going to get you?  You have to find a way to connect with them that suits them and their lifestyle - parents evenings, homework.....it may not work for them so you have to look for another way this is basic stuff....


This from a man that we all look up to we all want to get the seal of approval from, (hanging head in despair)


I'm also a community governor - what on earth does that mean?  “Where you’ve got poor governance, why not pay governors?” Pay governors for poor governance OK now I'm lost.........

One of your local childminders - Emma Harris BA (Hons) EYT





No comments:

Post a Comment